1792 Full Proof Single Barrel – 9th Edition
When selecting the Sunday Sippers for the 2022 Spirited Holiday Countdown Calendar I wanted to have whiskies that were memorable and enjoyable right down to the last sniff. Everything we put on this list is there for a reason and the Sunday Sippers, it’s all about the memory.
1792 has long been one of my favorite bourbons to buy in single barrels. Before 1792 Full Proof became an allocated item a few back, we were buying barrels in the Full Proof expression because they always proved to be the best barrels to get to the true barrel character of the whiskey. Hands down a perfect pick every time.
This pick was made on site back in August of 2021. It was on the same trip that we picked Toby’s (Benson) birthday barrel at Buffalo Trace. We had a little help with this pick from our new friend Steve Fante of Limestone Branch Distillery. We haven’t had a 1792 pick since this one, so it’s also the last of its kind for a while.
- Name: 1792 Full Proof Single Barrel – 9th Edition
- Country of Origin/Locale: Bardstown, KY
- Proof: 125.0
- Glass: Glencairn or Double Old Fashioned
- Temperature: Room or slightly Chilled
- Cocktail Options: Excellent for a JJ’s 3.0ld Fashioned or Manhattan
- Available: JJ’s Bar, yes. Retail – Will occasionally pop up on a raffle.
- Price: List Price – $69.99 JJ’s VIP Price – $55.99
Tom’s Tasting Notes: I remember when doing the selection for this barrel that it was hot in the rickhouse. It goes to show how much climate makes a difference in the aging of the whiskey and he the selection. We nailed it though. Big caramel and toffee flavors with a boatload of spices all wound up in a long and flavorful finish. This Sunday Sipper is ultra-smooth at 125 proof but becomes even more explosive with just a touch of water.